Blue Moon is a lightly flavored Belgian-style wheat beer that’s perfect for your summer BBQs or outdoor gatherings. It’s light and refreshing and pairs perfectly with a slice of orange.
Whether you’re drinking it neat or in a cocktail, Blue Moon always finds a way to shine.
So how do you drink Blue Moon beer?
Choose the best glass to help you savor your beer and drink it anyhow you wish. It tastes great neat with an orange wedge to garnish. Beer cocktails have also been all the rage; Blue Moon pairs very well with other spirits to make great-tasting tropical cocktails.
Let’s explore a brief history of Blue Moon and dive right into how to drink this beer like a pro.
Brief History of Blue Moon Beer
Blue Moon Beer is a Belgian-style wheat ale that first appeared in 1995. It has become one of the most popular craft beers of all time and is now recognized as a symbol of quality and innovation in the brewing industry.
The first Blue Moon beer was brewed in Denver, Colorado, by Keith Villa, a brewmaster at Coors Villa who was inspired by the Belgian-style wheat ales he sampled during a trip to Europe and wanted to recreate the unique flavor profile in the United States.
After months of experimentation and tweaking, Villa perfected his recipe, and Blue Moon was born.
He used Valencia orange peel to give the beer a signature coriander taste and beautiful sweetness. He also used oats and wheat to make the beer slightly cloudy and give it a creamy texture.
The beer quickly became a hit, and within a year, it was distributed nationally. The beer’s popularity only grew from there, eventually becoming a staple at bars and restaurants across the country.
A few years later, Blue Moon was purchased by MillerCoors, giving it the resources to expand its reach even further.
The beer is now available in more than 30 countries and is a favorite of beer enthusiasts around the world. Blue Moon has become an icon of the craft brewing movement, and its success has inspired countless other brewers to create their own unique recipes.
How To Drink Blue Moon
Here’s a step-by-step guide teaching you how to properly drink Blue Moon.
Choose the Right Glass
When drinking Blue Moon, it is important to choose the right glassware.
The beer should be served in a tulip-shaped glass, as the shape allows for the beer’s aroma and flavor to be enjoyed fully. The glass should also be chilled to ensure that the beer is served at the optimal temperature.
Pour It Right
Before you pour a bottle of Blue Moon, an unspoken rule of thumb is to roll it right to the left or left to right on a flat surface. The purpose of this is to activate the unfiltered elements.
Next, pop the bottle open, get your cold glass, and carefully pour your drink at a 45-degree angle. Once you’ve poured it halfway through your glass, put your glass down and give your Blue Moon bottle a thorough swirl.
Again, this is to activate the unfiltered elements in the beer and ensure you’re getting the best taste possible out of your bottle.
Empty the rest of the bottle into your tulip glass. Like every other beer, you’ll see a beautiful foam at the top.
Serve Your Beer
When serving Blue Moon, be sure to garnish the beer with an orange slice. This will help to add a hint of citrus to the beer and will help to bring out the flavor of the Valencia orange peel.
You can also add a sprig of fresh coriander or a few grains of oats to the beer for additional flavor.
Other Ways To Drink Blue Moon
Beer should be served cold but not with ice. Adding water to beer will water it down, making it less flavorful and affecting the overall taste. It can also lead to a skunky smell and a bad aftertaste.
If you want to take beer on the rocks, you should consider a beer cocktail. Luckily, I’m about to teach you some amazing cocktails using Blue Moon beer.
All the cocktails consist of mixing Blue Moon with some sort of spirit, and they’ll all use orange slices for garnish because orange slices go so well with Blue Moon beer.
The first cocktail on this list is the Summer Moon. Here’s what you’ll need.
- Blue Moon
- Orange wedge
- First, add some ice cubes to a glass, then add one ounce of your vodka.
- Next, add 2 ounces of lemonade and give it a nice stir with a mixing spoon.
- For the last step, add some Blue Moon. You may have to use your discernment to know what quantity is right because it depends. About 2 ounces should do the trick.
- Give it another stir, and don’t forget to garnish it with your Valencia orange. If you don’t have Valencia orange, a store-bought orange will work just fine.
This sounds like something you’d drink on a tropical island, and it doesn’t disappoint when it comes to taste.
- Blue Moon
- Spiced rum
- Pineapple juice
- Add 2 ounces of your spiced rum into a glass containing ice.
- Next, shake your pineapple juice to evenly distribute its contents and add 3 ounces into the mix.
- Next, top it off with Blue Moon. There’s no specified quantity, but 3 ounces should do.
- You should see a beautiful orange color. Instead of slitting the orange to garnish it, tuck it into the drink. It’ll beautify the drink and add extra citrus to the flavor profile.
Blue Moon Mist
Instead of vodka or rum, we’ll be using Aperol for this
- Blue Moon
- Lemon Juice
- Add one ounce of your Aperol into a glass containing ice.
- Add one ounce of freshly squeezed lemon juice into the glass. By now, you should see a bright orange color.
- Lastly, add about 7-10 ounces of Blue Moon.
- Give it a stir with a mixing spoon, garnish with an orange wedge and enjoy.
From the name, you can tell that it has to do with tequila. For this recipe, however, we’re going to be using Mezcal.
- Blue Moon
- Lime juice
- Pineapple Juice
- Add one ounce of pineapple juice to a glass containing ice.
- Add 1/4 oz of lime juice.
- Next, add one ounce of your Mezcal. You can use tequila but trust me on this one.
- Slide in an orange slice to give it a nice aesthetic and extra citrus.
- Add 5-8 ounces of Blue Moon, and you have your Agave Moon.
Whichever way you choose to drink your Blue Moon, you can’t go wrong with it. I don’t have a favorite way to drink it because I think you’re supposed to try every way eventually.
Drink it neat or experiment with different cocktails for the best Blue Moon experience.